In order to maintain a positive, productive, and safe educational environment while promoting our educational mission of teaching socially appropriate community values and respect for authority, the following guidelines have been established and approved by the teachers, administration, parents, and students of AE Wright Middle School. Extremes in grooming styles and clothing which substantially conflict with the educational mission of our school, disrupt the educational process, or create an unsafe environment for our students will not be permitted.
1. All shirts or blouses worn to school must be long enough so that if hands are raised over the head, a bare midriff is not exposed. Shirts must cover lingerie straps, bras, and underwear. A two inch strap is a good rule of thumb as long as the bra strap is covered. Spaghetti straps are not allowed. In addition, clothing styles that are unduly revealing and/or expose underwear are not allowed. These include, but are not limited to: "see-through" clothing, very low-cut tops, bikini tops, undershirts (worn alone), and tube tops.
2. Pants must fit around the waist and stay up without the aid of a belt, rope, or suspenders. "Sagging" is not allowed. Leggings and tights may be worn under shorts, pants, or skirts, but not in lieu of shorts, pants, or skirts. Pajamas and pajama bottoms are not allowed.
3. Shorts and skirts must be long enough so that when one's arms are straight at one's sides, the tip of the student's thumb does not exceed the length of the garment.
4. Clothing or accessories that are a safety hazard are not permitted. This includes but is not limited to foot attire commonly known as flip-flops or thongs, spiked heels, slippers, and shoes with heels in excess of two inches. All shoes must have a strap around the back of the foot. Spiked accessories and adornments such as wrist bands, rings, and belts are not allowed.
5. Hats or hoods must be removed in classes and offices.
6. Clothing which depicts any of the following using pictures, letters, symbols, or words is not permitted:
- Obscene or vulgar material
- Nudity, sexual activity, or sexual innuendo
- Alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, and other controlled substances
- Graffiti or weapons
- Illegal acts of violence, racial, ethnic, and religious or gender related slurs or "jokes."
Students in violation of the dress code:
- Will lose behavior points.
- Will be required to wear red loaner shirt/shorts or other appropriate clothing.
- May have parents contacted to bring appropriate clothing to school or to take student home to obtain appropriate clothing.
- Remain in the school on an in-house suspension pending corrective action.
Note: Repeated violations or refusal to comply with dress code provisions will be considered defiance and will result in disciplinary action such as loss of points, trash pick up, Saturday Work Program, or suspension from school. Any staff member may refer a student to school administration for violation of the AEW dress code. The principal and staff may revise the dress code rules as needed or as appropriate.